HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO RENOVATE A BATHROOM | NORTH SHORE AUCKLAND
There are numerous answers to the question “how long does it take to renovate a bathroom?” The bathroom renovation timeline (planning to handover) for an average-sized renovation could be as little as 20 to 25 days
A large bathroom renovation with extensive remedial, plumbing and electrical work could take much longer – 21 to 56 days
Overall, the question you also must ask “is the project a cosmetic renovation or a complete bathroom rebuild?”
The team at Style Plus Renovations North Shore Auckland sheds light on the timeline behind a bathroom renovation.
Table of Contents
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO COMPLETE A MASTER ENSUITE BATHROOM RENOVATION?
At Style Plus Renovations, we have an optimised design process that allows us to collaborate with our clients throughout their projects and avoid costly mistakes later on. This ensures that we meet our clients’ expectations at every stage of the process.
Before you sign a contract with any renovation contractor, enquire about their design process.
- Is there enough time for consultation,
- coordinating supplies,
- obtaining building consent,
- and other important tasks?
Also, inquire about how they compare to the Style Plus Renovations master timeline.
EXAMPLE BATHROOM RENOVATION TIMELINE
We’ve put together an example timeline for a bathroom renovation assuming that every contractor is booked and available on time and that all necessary items are accessible when needed.
Please keep in mind that this is an idealistic timeframe that does not account for downtime or variations that may be raised during the project.
Week 1: The First Consultation
When you contact Style Plus Renovations, you will speak with an experienced project manager who will schedule your initial in-home consultation or Zoom meeting to develop your ideas.
There, you’ll get an idea of the overall bathroom renovation cost as well as the time required to complete your project.
We’ll take the time to go over your options with you and provide you with the information you need to make an informed decision.
Week 2: Design Concepts and Scope of Work
We develop concrete plans during the first two weeks based on what you’ve told us about your old bathroom and information gathered from the design meeting and site visits.
Before we begin, we ensure that we have answered all of your questions and that we understand what we need to do.
Week 3: Collaborative Development Period
Once our team and client have agreed to the bathroom renovation project, we will continue to refine the project’s details. You will be able to collaborate with the team and make minor changes to the design.
After the contract is signed, we will obtain building consent (if required) and identify suppliers for materials that we will most likely require.
This collaborative development period lengthens the project, but it achieves the following critical goals:
- Ensuring that the project’s paperwork and council requirements are correct and in hand before the project’s start date.
- Allows you to see exactly how your renovated bathroom will look, avoiding delays caused by out-of-stock products/materials or supply chain delays.
Weeks 4-7: Putting the Project Together
When the project begins, we will begin by demolishing your current bathroom. Then the following typical tasks are completed.
There may be more tasks depending on the scope of work and council inspections if building consent was required:
- Any remedial work will be completed.
- The plumbing and electrical rough-in.
- Replace insulation where required.
- Followed by the GIB lining.
- Install underfloor heating if in scope.
- Painting where required.
- Electrical fit-off.
- Install the vanity, toilet, shower glass and remaining fixtures.
As part of our project methodology, we will keep you updated on the status of the project throughout the entire bathroom renovation process.
Week 8: The Final Onsite Review
After the work is completed, we review the results together. Your satisfaction is our ultimate goal, and we will not stop working on your project until we have completed a walk-through with you and ensured that we have completed everything you require.
TIMELINE FOR A BATHROOM RENOVATION
Is it possible to renovate a bathroom faster? Well, the answer is ‘possibly’. However, rushing through the process can cause issues that affect your overall satisfaction and the quality of the finish.
If you don’t make time for design planning early on, the finished bathroom may be technically perfect but not be right for you. At worst, planning errors could result in catastrophic design failures, cost overruns, and costly repairs on installations that the renovation contractor should have completed the first time around.
It is a mistake to rush the actual renovation process. A timeline that does not allow enough time for preconstruction planning, material arrival, and coordinating the subtrades will result in avoidable problems.
Style Plus Renovations takes pride in our work and appreciates the clients who have placed their trust in us. We refuse to cut corners or mislead our clients with unrealistic completion dates. We do provide an upfront answer to the question, “How long does it take to renovate a bathroom?”
HOW LONG DOES A SMALL BATHROOM RENOVATION TAKE?
The timeline above reflects our typical master ensuite bathroom renovation and renovation timeframe. However, if a bathroom project requires less work than usual in one area, we may be able to finish it in three weeks rather than the usual four.
A smaller bathroom may take less time – again, it is dependent on the scope of work and remedial work required.
Renovations that do not require significant changes to plumbing or electrical work may take less time, but they should not be rushed.
If your renovation project includes repainting and new tile work but leaves the existing space and layout/position of the shower, sink, electrical power points, and toilet unchanged, you may be able to expedite construction based on materials and labour availability.
Overall, you can expect your bathroom to be completed in less time while maintaining the same level of quality and precision.
Unexpected circumstances, on the other hand, can occur without warning and may necessitate additional time to properly resolve. For example, water damage that was not detected before the works started, will require a variation to be raised, remedial work to be undertaken and the timeline extended.
ALTERATION TO EXISTING SANITARY PLUMBING
When considering your bathroom renovation, you may or may not need a building consent.
You are not likely to require building consent to:
- Re-position or replace sanitary fixtures such as a bath, wash hand basin, shower or toilet, within an existing home bathroom.
- Move a toilet from a toilet compartment into an adjacent existing bathroom.
- Remove a bath with a shower over it, and replace it with a new proprietary shower enclosure and a new bath within the existing bathroom space.
You will need building consent to:
- Install a tiled wet area shower. As it involves critical building work that is not sanitary plumbing, such as carpentry and installing waterproof membranes.
- Move a vanity, bath, and shower within an apartment of a multi-level building. As it may involve new penetrations through a fire separation.
- Add a shower, hand basin, and toilet to an ensuite bathroom. These bathroom wares are additional to those already existing in the building
NEW CONSTRUCTION AND CONVERSIONS
Please let us know if you need to convert a non-bathroom room into a bathroom, completely change your floor plan, or build a new bathroom as an addition to your home. Because new plumbing and wiring are required, the project may take a little longer than a standard bathroom renovation.
BATHROOM PROJECT MANAGEMENT
Style Plus Renovations’ project manager can provide you with a custom time estimate for your project.
We can also outline some of the factors you will likely discuss with a bathroom design consultant.
For a typical bathroom renovation we take the time to discuss every aspect of your project with you, including your goals, wish list, expectations, minimum needs, budget, and time constraints.
BATHROOM RENOVATION PLANNING FAQS
- How do I organise the trades for my bathroom renovation?As specialist bathroom renovators servicing all of Auckland, we believe in quality craftsmanship and exceptional customer service. We make your bathroom renovation process less stressful and more enjoyable for you by project managing the whole process from consultation to handover. This entails scheduling and planning the appropriate trades at the right times.
- Does the builder manage the bathroom renovation?Yes, it is quite common on projects. A good builder will take on the project management duties of your bathroom renovation and organise the trades. However, a good Project Manager will also help guide you through project design, contract, and bathroom wares options without being hands-on with the building work.
- Should I DIY manage my bathroom renovation?DIY project management is not for the faint hearted. A project manager will make sure the right tradies are on site in the right sequence. If required they will liaise with council inspectors, ensure materials are on site when needed, deal with any issues that crop up and more importantly, ensure the renovation runs smoothly.
BOOK A CONSULTATION TODAY
If time is of the essence for you, don’t put off evaluating contractors for the bathroom renovation. Contractor schedules do fill up quickly, especially during the warm months of summer. Allow yourself enough time to get estimates from a few contractors and make an informed choice between them.
How long does a bathroom renovation take? It will not happen unless you begin the process. Call Style Plus Renovations to make your dream bathroom a reality. You can reach us by phone at 0800 789 537 or online contact form.
As an Auckland North Shore family-owned and run business, Style Plus Renovations cares about what we do and we take the time to fully understand your renovation needs. We are also proud to receive some exceptional compliments from our Auckland clients.
Get started with a Free
Architects Renovation Feasibility Report
YOUR RENOVATION PROJECT
Tel us about your renovation project and we’ll call you back for a no-obligation chat about your ideas.
Alternatively, if you prefer, we can initially set up a meeting using Microsoft Teams or Zoom (and other meeting apps) for a no-obligation chat about your ideas.
We look forward to hearing from you to discuss your project and get you started on your renovation journey.
If you would like to know more about our renovation process, check it out here.