When a garage is constructed, it does not have to meet the same requirements as a home under the Building Code and are therefore not suitable for habitable purposes i.e. non-habitable.
The conversion of a non-habitable space to a habitable space is considered an ‘alteration to an existing building’ rather than a ‘change of use’. The council requires that converted non-habitable spaces comply with the Building Code wherever possible to ensure that the homeowners live in a safe and healthy building.
WHAT TO CONSIDER
A Garage Conversion is a good option if you want to add more living space to your home without extending the footprint of the house. However, there are a few council requirements for the conversion, for example,
- Insulation, building wraps and internal linings are installed. This may require the removal removing of the external cladding so that insulation and building wrap can be installed.
- Damp proof membranes are in place. This relates to the concrete slab. Typically membranes are placed between the ground and concrete to prevent moisture migrating into the building. Where a membrane has not been placed a topping or surface coating maybe required to protect the internal environment.
- Providing adequate light and ventilation.
- If a bathroom is to be built there must be adequate provision for the disposal of internal moisture i.e. steam from showers.
- Floor, wall and ceiling surfaces are to be sealed, painted or covered.
- Converting a non-habitable to habitable space usually needs a building consent under the Building Act.
PLANNING YOUR GARAGE CONVERSION
If you have a suitable property that lends itself to a garage conversion, a set of existing floor plans, or just want to be involved in each step of your renovation design, then you should consider using the services of a renovation company such as Style Plus Renovations.
At Style Plus Renovations we partner with architects, engineers and QS to facilitate the planning and costing process.
10 YEAR BUILD WARRANTY
Renovating your home will possibly be one of the biggest investments you will make so it is important to have a building warranty which protects you both during construction and for 10 years after completion. At Style Plus Renovations we back our builds with a 10 Year Building Warranty. Our Residential Building Warranty has been designed to cover home renovations.
At Style Plus, we’re committed to providing the best possible service to our clients. We are proud to receive some exceptional compliments from our clients.
Get started with a Free
Architects Feasibility Report
To contact us complete the form and we will respond to inquiries within 2 business days. We look forward to hearing from you.
When we meet with you we will cover the following:
01 How Style Plus Renovations work
02 Your needs
04 Next steps
02 Your needs
04 Next steps