What are the bathroom renovation essentials?
The commonly asked question for a bathroom renovation is “what are the bathroom renovation essentials?
When you sit down and start thinking about what is required, there are usually many unanswered questions:
- Do I need a building consent?
- How much work will need to be done on the existing bathroom?
- How much will it cost?
- Can I live in the house during the renovation?
Renovating is in no way a simple process. The team at Style Plus look at some of the design planning essentials for a bathroom renovation.
Will I require a building consent?
Commonly, there are three questions to be considered when planning a bathroom renovation:
• Will there be any structural changes? Typically, removing a wall between the toilet and connecting bathroom. The question to ask is, is the wall load bearing?
• Are there any changes to the plumbing? If you are re-positioning, or adding any plumbing to alter the layout of a bathroom, you will require a building consent. If you are replacing like for like, such as updated fixtures, in exactly the same positions, then a consent is not required.
• Do I need a building consent for a tiled wet area shower? In all cases, installing a tiled wet area shower will require a building consent.
Which tiles to choose – ceramic or porcelain?
Porcelain or ceramic? Both are part of the larger category of tiles we can call ceramic. Both made from a mixture of clays and other materials, then kiln-fired to approximately 1400 degrees.