20 HOME Renovation TIPS
If you are planning a renovation, do not walk into it blindly. A little prior planning and preparation will go a long way to making your renovation an enjoyable experience, rather than a potential nightmare.
Here are 20 renovation tips and ideas from the team at Style Plus Renovations North Shore Auckland.
Before Your Start Your Renovation Journey!
In general, the Style Plus Renovations process starts with a review of your renovation requirements.
For example, what would you like to achieve and the reasons behind the changes? Here are renovation tips 1-5, before you start your journey:
- If you are looking at renovating your bathroom, visit a plumbing supply outlet near you who have experienced bathroom consultants that are able to advise on layout, products, trends and colour, going green, and introducing technology into your bathroom.
- Review the real estate websites and find a home that has been renovated and arrange to visit an open home. Show homes are also worth a visit.
- Gather ideas and pictures from magazines and the internet. Check out Our Pintrest page for some inspiration.
- Book time with our Style Plus Interior designer. Our experienced and qualified Interior Designer can offer advice and inspiration on all aspects of interior design.
- From your homework, you will be able to meet the Style Plus | Renovation consultant with your design ideas and your house plans, and any restrictions or issues upfront.
Plan Your Renovation Budget
As they say, it’s all in the planning! Here are renovation tips 6-10.
- Calculate everything you will have to do to finish your project, and do your research to get a good idea of what it will cost you.
- Set a realistic budget based on your desires and required outcomes. This may require some research into the cost of the materials and products of your choice. Once you have set your budget, add between 10-20% to cover quotes that run over and any unexpected surprises.
- Cover yourself! Before starting the renovation, check with your insurance company that your house and contents policy covers you during renovations. Additionally, if you are not getting building consent, ensure the work you are undertaking will be insured.
- Topping up your mortgage is usually cheaper than getting a personal loan or using a credit card, because home loan interest rates are lower.
- Do not forget that your project may also incur additional consent and compliance fees, insurance and architect’s fees. You need to work these into your renovation budget and finance calculations.
QUALITY V PROJECT COST
The risks involved in renovation projects make quality assurance of the utmost importance. Here are renovation tips 11-12.
- So when it is time to decide which quote to accept, and quality is key to you, then keep in mind that the cheapest quote is predominantly not the best way forward.
- Very early on in the Style Plus Renovations process we review the renovation at a high level and determine a “ball park cost to renovate”. This figure will evolve as we hone in on your requirements and produce a set of plans for building consent. From the final set of plans we are able to provide you with an accurate costing for your renovation based on our experience and the systems we employ.
CHANGES CAN COST YOU!
During a renovation, typically changes do occur.
- In general, during your renovation or build you may find that you change your mind on a couple of previously agreed items. Keep in mind that every time this happens, a change order/variation will be raised by your builder. Inevitably there is always added costs when things are changed from the consented plans.
- A change may seem minor but it can cause a ripple effect throwing off scheduling and other subcontractor works that needs to be undertaken. Changes are okay and bound to happen but keep in mind that these have the potential to disrupt and delay your renovation or build.
HAVE A CONTINGENCY FUND
- When renovating a home there are a number of things that can go wrong. Be prepared with a contingency fund and make sure to use it only in cases of readjustment due to unforeseen events or issues that require a cost solution. The amount allocated to contingency in a budget depends on the nature and complexity of the project, but it is usually somewhere between 10% and 20%.
SELECTING THE RIGHT RENOVATION COMPANY
Selecting the right renovation company for your needs and for the type of renovation you seek is one of the most important decisions you will make in your home renovation process. Here are a few pointers to help you:
- It is important that you look for a building company that will listen to you and your ideas. Good communication skills are essential when undertaking a renovation.
- Do they employ licensed builders? This is the first question you need to ask. Only ever work with licensed tradesmen. It may seem like an obvious point to reinforce but people either do not ask or go with an unlicensed builder to save money. The results can be disastrous.
- Does the building company have any current or past building disputes under way? This will let you know about the building company’s general reliability and professionalism as well as the overall quality of their work.
- Check that your building company has a valid insurance policy in place to adequately cover the project and personal liability.
- And finally, if it sounds too good to be true, it often is. Look for real value in the building company who will undertake your renovation or build.
As an Auckland North Shore family-owned and run business, Style Plus Renovations cares about what we do and we take the time to fully understand your renovation needs. We are also proud to receive some exceptional compliments from our Auckland clients.
Get started with a Free
Architects Renovation Feasibility Report
YOUR RENOVATION PROJECT
Tel us about your renovation project and we’ll call you back for a no-obligation chat about your ideas.
Alternatively, if you prefer, we can initially set up a meeting using Microsoft Teams or Zoom (and other meeting apps) for a no-obligation chat about your ideas.
We look forward to hearing from you to discuss your project and get you started on your renovation journey.
If you would like to know more about our renovation process, check it out here.