BATHROOM RENOVATION COST NZ
Bathroom renovation costs in Auckland are likely to be in the region of $20,000 – $90,000+ for a high-end – custom bathroom renovation.
So, if you are looking to renovate your home and would like to know the costs behind a bathroom renovation, and increase your home value, there are a number of key costs that create the overall bathroom renovation project budget.
The team at Style Plus Renovations North Shore Auckland who over the years have undertaken bathroom renovations and created some beautiful bathrooms, take a look at a number of common bathroom renovation costs:20
Table of Contents
WHAT IS THE BUDGET FOR BATHROOM RENOVATION?
So, how much does it cost to renovate a bathroom? This is a common question among homeowners considering house improvements such as a bathroom renovation.
Well, for bathroom renovations in NZ, the costs will depend on your bathroom size, the scope of work and the level of finish of the bathroom renovation.
With so many different fixtures, fittings, and designs, you can spend as little or as much as you want, depending on the finish, the look and the quality you are looking for.
Also, the more aspects of the bathroom that you are looking to renovate, the more it will cost you.
- Basic Bathroom Renovations – A basic bathroom renovation in NZ typically costs between $20,000 to $30,000.
- Mid-Range Bathroom Renovations – A mid-range bathroom renovation in NZ typically costs between $30,000 to $50,000.
- High-End | Custom Bathroom Renovations – A high-end bathroom renovation is likely to cost $50,000 to $90,000 or more.
We recommend that you list your priorities, do some research, and then do some basic calculations. This would be a good starting point.
When considering the cost of a bathroom designer in New Zealand, it is important to understand that the fees can vary depending on several factors.
These factors include the scope of the project, the level of customisation, the experience and reputation of the designer, and the location of the project.
Generally, hiring a professional bathroom designer in NZ can range from $1,500+ This cost typically covers the designer’s time and expertise in creating a functional and aesthetically pleasing bathroom design, including layout, fixtures, materials, and color schemes.
Additional costs may include consultation fees, project management fees, and any expenses related to purchasing materials or hiring contractors.
SELECTING YOUR BATHROOM SHOWER
When it comes to showers, you have a few options to select from. Either,
- Fully tiled walk-in bathroom shower.
- Acrylic tray with tiled walls for bathroom shower.
- A full acrylic shell-type bathroom shower.
BATHROOM FULLY TILED WALK-IN SHOWER
It’s a common notion that tiled walk-in showers when completed look stunning. With no step into the shower (level-entry), the floor blends seamlessly into the shower area.
These types of showers are classed as wet-area showers and require building consent. Building consent and council inspections provide an assurance to homeowners that the building complies with the Building Code.
Wet area showers require more building work than when a ready-made shower (acrylic shower for example) is installed:
- Floor, subfloor and walls need to be designed for protection from additional water exposure.
- Remedial work to the subfloor framing.
- Containment and fall to shower floor waste.
- Waterproof membrane under the floor covering and behind shower wall coverings
- Installing tiles over a waterproof membrane.
During your bathroom renovation planning, also think about where the shower head will be located and the direction of the water flow from the shower head. Having the shower head in the wrong position may cause water issues.
TILED SHOWER COSTS NZ
The cost to create a tiled shower is hard to pin down as each shower is a custom creation and requires the shower floor to have a fall to the drain.
You would need to consider the above and the following trades and services:
- Building consent process costs (this depends on the scope of work $5,000+).
- Custom bathroom walk-in shower glass – 10mm frameless glass screen set ($700+).
- Plumber ($90+/hr).
- Licensed builder (around $80+/hr).
- Bathroom waterproofing ($110/m2).
- Bathroom tiling costs (example tiles: 600×600 – $75/m2) (tiler $90+/m2).
BATHROOM ACRYLIC SHOWER TRAY WITH TILED WALLS
The second type of bathroom shower uses an acrylic tray and tiled walls. The use of an acrylic base can reduce installation costs and the fall for drainage is already built into the tray.
- A quality bathroom 1200 x 900 shower which includes a tray and door set is priced from $1,800+.
- You would need to allow for a plumber, waterproofing and tiling costs.
A FULL ACRYLIC SHELL-TYPE BATHROOM SHOWER
Full acrylic shell type. These types of showers provide a clean, seamless style in conventional sizes and shapes to suit almost any space. In comparison to a tiled shower, the installation time savings make them an attractive option as they are pre-made with set installation instructions.
Overall, all install components including labour can be easily costed.
- A quality 1200 x 900 shower which includes a tray, flat acrylic wall liner and door set is priced from $ 2,000+.
SELECTING YOUR BATHROOM SHOWER DRAIN
Bathroom floor wastes (shower drain) have come a long way in the last few years. Here are a few bathroom renovation costs options:
Basic Bathroom Shower Drain – Chrome – You can still buy the regular round chrome floor wastes. These can range from $30 upwards.
Standard Bathroom Shower Drain – concealed – Concealed floor wastes are square or round in shape and are designed so a tile can be inserted into the top – hence concealing the floor waste. These can range from $70 upwards depending on quality and design.
Premium Bathroom Shower Drain – trough – Floor troughs look great when installed in a walk-in tiled shower. For a mid-range 900mm wide channel drain these range from around $230+. Designer materials and colours cost more.
The vision series is an all-stainless steel shower channel and grate system, available off the shelf from Allproof and represents the “top end” of floor wastes when renovating.
SELECTING YOUR TOILET
Consideration must be taken to the type of toilet that will be replaced, for example, the type of trap to suit the current connection.
Stick to well-known brands. It pays to be aware that as well as costing more to purchase in-wall cisterns and wall-hung toilets, it will also cost more in labour as they generally take an additional labour time (2 to 3 hours) to install them compared to conventional toilets.
A modern-looking, quality, back-to-wall close coupled toilet suite with a soft close seat, with a good WELS rating (efficiency rating) can range from $680 and up to as much as $1,600+.
There is the plumber’s cost to disconnect and cap the pipes, re-pipe where required and finally install the toilet after any remedial work is completed. The plumber should be able to install this for around $700 – depending on the work required.
- Toilets: VCBC.
SELECTING YOUR BATHROOM FREESTANDING BATH
Nothing says luxury like a freestanding bath. With beautiful designs in different shapes and finishes, it will make your bath experience just that much more special.
Whether you choose acrylic, enamel, composite or natural stone for your bathroom renovation, there is a bath to suit every budget.
More recently manufacturers have created a range of bath sizes, so even the smaller sized bathrooms can feel luxurious. There are now also back-to-wall models that replicate the look of being freestanding but take up less room.
During your bathroom renovation planning, consider whether this type of bath is to be used for young children. If it is, then spare a thought for how much bending and lifting will be required to get the child in and out of the bath.
A good quality acrylic freestanding bath can be purchased for around $2,000. A stone bath would cost around $2,500+. Both types require a freestanding floor-mounted column bath filler which can be bought from around $700 and from $2,500+ that includes a shower head.
To install the bath, from $700 for a plumber and around $520 for a builder. Both depend on the extent of work required.
Also, ensure that there is enough support beneath the bath to hold the weight of the freestanding bath you choose.
- Freestanding Bath: Caroma
SELECTING YOUR BATHROOM VANITY
Vanities come in a range of designs and sizes to suit your bathroom renovation. The basic types are:
Natural themes in bathroom renovation design are becoming more popular.
Cabinet finishes range from Dark Oak, Mali and Wenge to bolder colours such as Piper, Savanna and high gloss Exochique finish, all have a place in the modern bathroom design. If these colours are too strong for your pallet, consider a softer hue like Sabine or White Ash.
- Athena: Vanity Colour finishes.
A stylish full-depth, double bowl (1200mm) wall-hung vanity will make a statement in any bathroom. A quality mid-end vanity is priced from $1,200, with a basin priced from $775. Allow $700 for plumbing. Mid and high-end vanity summary costs are shown at the bottom of this page.
- Vanities: Athena.
SELECTING YOUR BATHROOM TAPWARE
At Style Plus Renovations, we would always recommend using high-quality tapware. However, it may be viable to use cheaper tapware in areas that are not as frequently used throughout the house.
Basin mixers and bath taps are typically used less frequently than other tapware and can be replaced without too much hassle if they were to fail down the track.
Shopping around for affordable bath spouts could also save you money, as these have no working parts and the only purpose is to take the water from the wall into the bath. The difference is only in shape and style.
Shower mixers on the other hand have been specifically designed to give you an even mix of hot and cold water, whilst providing as much pressure as possible. Many cheaper mixers fail to do this (low pressure especially).
The tricky thing to remember is that the mixer is housed behind the wall, which makes changing it very challenging. For this reason, I would not recommend buying a cheap shower mixer. A quality mixer is priced from $490.
Shower slides. A quality shower slide is priced from $250.
There are four main types of shower heads combinations to consider when you design your bathroom:
- Fixed and mounted on the wall. Priced from $350
- Mounted on the ceiling. Priced from $280.
- A shower column, made up of a fixed shower head and a hand shower. Priced from $1,300 (good quality).
- A shower kit and slide rail, made up of a hand shower on a slide rail. Priced from $950 (good quality).
Depending on the final design, plumbing costs will apply and in some cases, a licensed builder may need to be involved.
SELECTING BATHROOM TILES
When designing the bathroom, the size of the tile can have as much effect on the look of your project as the colour and texture will. It comes down to personal preference but over the years we have seen a growing trend towards using larger format tiles.
On a design note, larger tiles will leave a room with fewer grout lines, thus creating a more streamlined look to a room. It’s quite common now to incorporate large tiles in even the smallest bathroom.
Ceramic tiles are a popular option for bathroom renovation as they are durable and moisture-resistant. They are available in a good range of styles and colours. And are priced from $60 per square metre. With all tiled bathrooms, It is important that they are properly installed and grouted.
For a bathroom renovation, the cost of tiling per square metre is approx. $90. However, it s best to discuss the rates with your tiler as some tilers will price based on the size of the tile.
Also, we can provide a bathroom waterproofing and tiling service for your renovation. Contact us to discuss this further.
BATHROOM WATERPROOFING SERVICES
Before you can tile or waterproof the bathroom floor, you will need to put down a tile and slate underlay, which is a cement-based product. Then a waterproof membrane can be applied. Waterproofing is a specialist trade, so use an accredited applicator, your bathroom depends on the waterproofing being done right.
Depending on the level and complexity of your bathroom renovation, your waterproofing will need to be inspected by a Building Inspector, once dried, or a Producer Statement (PS3) & warranty being supplied.
The cost of waterproofing per square metre is approx. $85. There are a few factors that dictate the final cost of waterproofing, however, an indicative cost for a medium sized bathroom, with a tiled shower, inset bath tub, would be in the region of $1,600+.
If you are looking for a tiler or waterproofer, Style Plus Renovations can provide a Tiling & Waterproofing Service.
BATHROOM WARE COST SUMMARY
Bathroom renovation costs for your bathroom wares can vary considerably based on quality and your allocated budget. The following shows an indicative price comparison between ‘Good’, ‘Better’ and ‘Best’ quality.
|Type||Good Quality||Better Quality||Best Quality +|
|Close Couple Toilet||$700||$850||$1,600+|
|Basin Mixer Tap||$190||$290||$450+|
|Free Standing Bath||$1,900||$2,500||$3,000+|
|1200x900mm Glass Shower Cubicle Kit||$1,800||$2,600||$3,600+|
ESTIMATING YOUR BATHROOM RENOVATIONS COSTS
Bathroom renovations costs are typically broken down into three parts, however, other main costs to consider include:
- The cost of labour which in most parts remains fairly consistent.
- The cost of fixtures greatly depends on what items you choose.
- The final cost relates to the size and complexity of your bathroom renovation.
In general, a bathroom renovation can be expressed as a cost percentage.
- Bathroom Wares 30%
- Building Materials 15%
- Trade Labour Costs 55%
Since one standard bathroom renovation can cost up to $30,000 and another full bathroom renovation over $50,000+, the “average renovation cost” can be deceptive.
The best way to review how much to renovate a bathroom is to establish a budget for your new bathroom, this entails creating an estimate based on the size of your bathroom and the inclusions you want, for example, the type and quality of fittings.
The following bathroom renovation costs are indicative only to give a general guideline. Also, you will need to take into consideration the increasing cost of materials.
Standard NZ size/range bathroom renovation costs start at approximately $20,000+.
This includes minor alterations to keep the costs down. For example, not repositioning the bathroom items (toilet, bath, shower). The scope of work would be to swap the items of a new updated model.
Mid-range bathroom renovation cost range from $30,000 – $50,000. This is the most common bathroom renovation in NZ. It includes improving the look and functionality of the space and installing mid-range wares.
High-end bathroom renovation cost range from $50,000 – $90,000+. This type of large bathroom renovation is also classed as a custom high-end bathroom renovation.
It includes stripping the bathroom to the bare frame, creating a custom tiled shower enclosure, bespoke countertops, and vanities, re-doing the layout and selecting high-end quality fixtures.
The scope of work and cost for this type of bathroom renovation can vary significantly depending on your requirements and specification.
For an indicative bathroom renovation estimate, check out our Bathroom Renovation Cost NZ Calculator.
BUDGET FOR THE UNEXPECTED WHEN RENOVATING YOUR BATHROOM
At Style Plus Renovations when we undertake a bathroom renovation we can sometimes find unanticipated surprises. These include:
- The substrate (floorboards) and in some cases, the floor joists (timber beams) are water damaged or need to be strengthened to comply with the current building code.
- Older type of plumbing that requires replacement so that they comply with the New Zealand Plumbing & Drainage standards.
- Pipework that is leaking, such as a slow leak that will cause damage over a number of years.
- You may also need asbestos testing as some older ceilings may have asbestos content.
These “unknowns” require a contingency to be built into the renovation budget. A typical contingency would be a minimum of 15% of the project value.
BATHROOM RENOVATIONS COSTS FAQS
- What are the primary factors that influence bathroom renovation costs?There are several factors contribute to the overall cost of a bathroom renovation. The key factors to consider include the size and layout of the bathroom, the quality of fixtures and materials chosen, the complexity of plumbing and electrical work required, the level of customisation and design features, and the labour and professional services involved.
- How long does it take for a full bathroom renovation?The duration of a bathroom renovation project depends on the scope of work and various factors such as the size of the bathroom, the complexity of the project, and the availability of materials and subcontractors. Generally, a moderate bathroom renovation can take anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks, while larger or more intricate projects may extend to 6 to 8 weeks or longer. It's important to discuss the timeline with your contractor or project manager and factor in any potential delays or unexpected issues.
- How can I keep my bathroom renovation project on budget and on time?There are a few steps you can take early on in the building process to combat your build going over budget and over the time frame. These are things like hiring a construction company with project management services that will be able to help keep your costs down, using a good quality certified builder to build your project right the first time, try making all major decisions as early as possible to keep unforeseen costs to a minimum and plan as realistically as possible allowing for contingency just in case.
- Do I have to organise trades such as plumbers, electricians or tiler?We have all trades available to undertake your project. Style Plus Renovations have a network of trusted trades who understand how we work. This provides one point of contact who looks after all the trades from the start to completing the project.
- Can I purchase my own bathroom wares for my bathroom renovation?Can I purchase my own bathroom wares? the answer is Yes. However, they would need to be delivered at specific times during the project. During the early planning stages of the project we discuss the pros and cons of purchasing the bathroom wares yourself. Our preference is to make the design decisions together and we would purchase the item though our suppliers, therefore any issues during the project are easily managed.
Embarking on a bathroom renovation project requires careful planning and consideration of various factors that influence the overall cost.
By understanding the key elements involved, setting a realistic budget, and making informed choices, you can achieve a beautiful and functional bathroom within your means.
Remember to consult professionals, obtain detailed quotes, and prioritize essential aspects to ensure a successful renovation journey.
For further assistance and expert advice, feel free to contact Style Plus Renovations North Shore Auckland.
If you are confused with building contract jargon, check out our articles.
As an Auckland North Shore family-owned and run business, Style Plus Renovations cares about what we do and we take the time to fully understand your renovation needs. We are also proud to receive some exceptional compliments from our Auckland clients.
Get started with a Free
Architects Renovation Feasibility Report
YOUR RENOVATION PROJECT
Tel us about your renovation project and we’ll call you back for a no-obligation chat about your ideas.
Alternatively, if you prefer, we can initially set up a meeting using Microsoft Teams or Zoom (and other meeting apps) for a no-obligation chat about your ideas.
We look forward to hearing from you to discuss your project and get you started on your renovation journey.
If you would like to know more about our renovation process, check it out here.