BARN DOORS WITH STYLE
Are you looking for a change in the style of your interior doors?
Are you looking at renovating or new build and have the opportunity to set the style of your interior doors?
The team at Style Plus Renovations Auckland take a look at your barn doors options that will help you during your planning stage:
- Barn doors or cavity sliders
- What to consider
- Barn doors hardware
- Barn doors interior style
- Installing barn doors – what to consider
- Interior design service
BARN DOOR OR CAVITY SLIDERS
Rolling Barn Doors have been around for many years. They were initially used to hold large, heavy doors on barns. The sliding mechanism allowed for the large doors to open and close easily without the use of hinges.
Cavity sliders have been around for years , however the cheaper cavity sliders have their issues. Everything from the door being jammed, being difficult to slide, and even having the small parts and wheels fail or fall of the track.
As the popularity of installing a barn door grew the simple design and rustic interpretations has become an interior design element option for interior doors.
WHAT TO CONSIDER
If you decide to embark on installing a barn door during your renovation or new build the following are a few pointers to consider:
- How wide your door needs to be, including the amount of space it needs to slide open.
- Look for studs above the door opening, because barn doors and hardware are heavy. You really have to know what is under the wall lining!
- What style of hardware would suit your interior design?
- Weight of the door?
BARN DOOR HARDWARE
Barn door hardware can be very expensive. You may decide to invest in it and spend more if you are looking for something specific or want a certain look.
Tip: To select the right hardware system you need to know the size and weight of your sliding door.
JNF offers a range of 304 Stainless Steel and Aluminium modular sliding door kits suitable for glass and wooden sliding doors.
For example the JNIN15121K kit which includes 2 x hangers, 2 x door stops, 1 x door guide, 1 x top track cost around the $1,007 mark.
CS For Doors Barn Door Track kit, depending on the track length, an example is the face fixed track (1800mm) black finish, for an interior timber door. The cost is around the $725 mark.
A basic 38mm, paint quality MDF barn door up to 2.4m high x 1.2 wide costs in the region of $830.
A solid timber barn door costs around the $1,300 mark.
Tip: If you are installing a barn door for a bedroom, consider installing a privacy lock.
BARN DOOR INTERIOR STYLE
Typically barn doors have been implemented for rustic style decor. However, the latest barn door hardware has greatly improved in design aesthetic and function. A sliding barn door is now a modern option when you are considering renovating your interior space.
If you are considering installing barn doors during your renovation or new build, then think outside the box.
Barn doors are a beautiful and practical alternative to a room divider when you are looking at creating privacy or divide open interior spaces. A barn door is also useful where there is plenty of wall space but a swinging door could affect the flow of the room.
There is such diversity in the uses, styles, colour combinations. The following are a few ideas:
- Use rustic wood and create a rustic look to your barn door. The style is suited to a minimalist, contemporary space where the colour white and concrete materials dominate. Rustic barn doors add texture and warm up the space.
- Create a modern looking barn door by selecting materials with a luxe and contemporary edge. For example a mirrored black surface of a barn door.
- Consider painting the barn door in a bright, bold colour. Try orange, lime green, turquoise or bright red. Go with high sheen paints or lacquers that add gloss and richness to the colour.
- Frosted glass barn doors is also a modern option. For example if you are considering using the light from an adjacent room. Frosted glass would conceal what is on the other side while letting light in.
INSTALLING A BARN DOOR
When installing a barn door you will need to consider the following:
- Barn doors hang from a track outside the room, Make sure the door is wider than the opening so that there is not a gap around the door when closed.
- Barn doors can be heavy such as solid timber doors. You will need to install the door track to a header above the doorway and secure it with studs. We recommend placing a stud or timber block at every interval on your track to make sure it can support the weight of your barn door.
INTERIOR DESIGN SERVICE
At Style Plus | Interior Design we understand that when a home owner decides to undertake a renovation or create a new space for their new build, it is difficult to select colours, finishes or barn doors that work well together.
Ensuring your new space design style fits well with the rest of your home is essential to achieve a successful outcome. This is why we have a personalised interior design service to Style Plus.
Our interior designer will visit your home to help you with inspiring recommendations and ideas that would best suit your new renovation or new build.
They can also help with selecting the colours, finishes and fittings to complete the look.
Style Plus interior design service includes:
- Assist with the selection of barn door(s) for your interior design.
- Interior design consultancy.
- Colour and finishes consultancy.
- Furniture sourcing and design.
- Window Treatments.
- Project Management.
Recent Design & Build Work
Get started with a Free
Architects Feasibility Report
To contact us complete the form and we will respond to inquiries within 2 business days. We look forward to hearing from you.
When we meet with you we will cover the following:
02 Your needs
04 Next steps