SOLAR POWER BATTERY STORAGE
Storing power in batteries which can be used at any time of the day is a way to increase solar power self-consumption. Battery systems are still relatively expensive. If you choose to purchase a grid connected system and batteries are still out of your budget, then you can always add batteries to your system in the future.
HOW MUCH BATTERY STORAGE DO I NEED?
The general goal when designing an off-grid battery bank is to get a system that is big enough to supply all your needs for a few cloudy days, but is also small enough to be charged by your panels. However there are a few things to consider:
• Would you prefer enough storage to make it all the way through the night without needing to buy grid power too often?
• Is blackout protection functionality important to you?
• Do you require a system that will enable you to go off-grid in the future?
• How much energy you consume at night, especially during the winter months will indicate how much storage you will require.
• If you have solar power system currently installed, then how much you have been exporting to the grid during the winter months is a good indicator on how much battery capacity to purchase.